Does Car Insurance Cover Accidents on Private Property?

Does Car Insurance Cover Accidents on Private Property

After a fantastic party, you hit your friend’s mailbox while backing out of their driveway. Whoops! You worry about who will pay for accidents. Is your insurance covered on private property like a driveway or parking lot?

This is a common driver question. The answer depends on your coverage, so read on for details. This article discusses whether regular auto insurance covers off-road incidents. Coverage may surprise you.

Understanding Liability Coverage for Car Accidents

Your motor insurance liability coverage covers damage to other’s property in an accident you cause. Many states mandate this coverage. Accidents on private property like parking lots are covered by liability insurance.

Liability insurance can cover the other driver’s vehicle repairs and medical bills in a private property collision. It also covers damage to buildings and lampposts. In these scenarios, liability insurance protects you financially.

You would have to pay these charges without liability insurance. The other driver or property owner may sue you for damages. Your policy shows liability limits like 100/300/50, which is $100,000 per person for injuries, $300,000 per accident, and $50,000 for property damage. Higher limits provide more coverage, so choose limits that match your risk.

When buying or renewing your motor policy, be sure you have enough liability, comprehensive, and collision coverage to cover accidents on private property and elsewhere. Driving cautiously to avoid accidents is the safest option. However, liability and other optional coverages can reassure you that charges will be covered.

Does Car Insurance Cover Accidents on Private Property?

Car insurance potentially covers private property accidents, but it’s case-by-case. Liability insurance usually helps with others’ property damage and injuries, but exclusions exist. Your own car damage might not be covered. Check your policy and remember, the property owner’s insurance might be relevant.

Most auto insurance policies offer liability if you’re at blame for an accident, which covers the other driver’s vehicle and medical claims regardless of where the event occurs.

Some policies cover comprehensive damage to your vehicle, even if you’re at fault. Comprehensive coverage covers accidents on private property like your driveway, parking lot, or garage. Some exceptions:

Intentional actions: Your insurance carrier may not cover damage from intentional collisions. Coverage requires unintended accidents.

• Do not expect insurance to cover racing, jumping ramps, or stunt driving damages. Standard policies prohibit these risky actions.

Wear and tear: Normal car use causes minor dings, dents, and scratches, which are not covered. Comprehensive covers accidents, not wear and tear.

Unlisted drivers: Allowing non-listed drivers on your policy may result in refused coverage in case of an accident. Policies often cover only named drivers.

• DUI incidents and accidents involving inebriated drivers are typically not covered.

Standard auto insurance covers private property accidents. However, coverage may be limited or denied in specific cases. Your policy and accident details influence if your insurance company covers losses. If you have questions concerning private property accident coverage, research your policy or contact us on FB if you have any queries.

Factors That Determine Coverage for Private Property Accidents

Auto insurance coverage for private property accidents depends on various criteria.

Accident Location

Accident location on private land is crucial. Coverage is more likely if it happened on a public road or in a private parking lot. Coverage is less sure if it happened in a private driveway or other restricted area.

Vehicle Use Purpose

Your purpose for driving at the moment of the collision factors, too. Coverage is more likely if you drive for work or amusement. However, coverage will likely be rejected if you utilize it illegally or willfully cause harm.

Details of the Accident

Accident details affect coverage. Unintentional, unavoidable accidents are usually covered. Coverage may be reduced or rejected if negligence, recklessness, or DUI caused the accident. Damage severity and injuries affect coverage and claims.

Policies for auto insurance

Coverage depends on your motor insurance policy—liability only, collision, comprehensive, etc. Liability only covers other vehicle damage. Collision covers your car—complete non-collision coverage. 

Tips for Maximizing Coverage for a Private Property Accident

Unfortunately, accidents may happen anywhere, including your driveway, garage, or parking lot. Auto insurance usually covers public road and highway accidents, but private property occurrences are more complicated. Here are some methods to enhance private property accident coverage.

Ensure enough coverage. Consider these two main auto insurance coverage types.

  1. Liability coverage covers injury or damage to others. Higher liability limits ensure private property accident coverage.
  2. Collision and comprehensive coverage for your car. Comprehensive covers vandalism, theft, and weather damage. Collisions involve other vehicles or objects. These encompass incidents wherever.
  3. Immediately report the accident. Even for minor fender benders on private land, notify your insurance carrier immediately. Not reporting an accident could be insurance fraud and void your coverage. Describe the location, circumstances, and other cars or property.
  4. Gather evidence on site: photograph vehicle damage, the accident scene, and nearby property damage. Get witness contact info. All this data may be needed to assess blame and coverage.
  5. Check your policy. Check your motor insurance policy for private property accident coverage and exclusions. Look for “non-public” or “off-road” coverage. You can alter coverage limits or policy provisions anytime to ensure coverage anywhere.

What to Do After an Accident on Private Property

warning sign

You got into a crash at an apartment complex or retail parking garage. Now what? Take legal and financial precautions even though the collision occurred on private property rather than a public road.

Call the police to report the accident. While police may not issue traffic fines for private property accidents, they usually send officers to document the incident. For insurance and records, get the police report. The police report will provide essential accident data to help evaluate culpability and liability.

Next, provide your name, address, phone number, insurance information, driver’s license number, car make and model, license plate number, and VIN with the other driver(s). Photograph the vehicles, accident scene, and visible damage or injuries.

Report the accident to your insurer immediately. Even for minor accidents on private property, you may need to make an insurance claim for damages or medical bills. Your insurance provider can assist you in filing a claim and verify if the other driver’s insurance is responsible.

Finally, estimate car damage and schedule repairs. Your insurer may require licensed auto repair shop estimates for insurance claims. Keep records of accident-related costs for insurance or liability claims.


Car insurance might be complicated for private property incidents. Fortunately, your auto insurance should cover most parking lot fender benders. However, location, fault, and policy details can affect coverage.

Understand your coverage, drive safely even off public roads, and let me know on FB if you have any queries immediately if you have an accident. We’ll advise on claim submission. Feel free to challenge rejected coverage. Your insurance protects you, so get what you paid for.


Does ordinary auto insurance cover private property accidents?

Usually yes. Parking lot, driveway, and private road incidents are covered by standard auto insurance. Some exceptions:

  • Coverage may be refused if the accident occurs on the policyholder’s property. Suppose you hit your garage.
  • Some states allow insurance companies to dismiss claims happening off public roadways. Contact your insurer to confirm coverage.
  • Accidents caused by willful or irresponsible activity may not be covered. Intentional damage and criminal activity are not covered by insurance.

How about an uninsured driver?

The other driver may need insurance; therefore, you may need more time. Your policy covers car damage and medical claims for you and your passengers. Your deductible and other charges may not be recoverable from them due to their lack of coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage can protect you in these instances.

Will a private property accident raise my rates?

Possibly. Any accident, even on private land, might affect your premiums. Insurance companies consider all claims risky. The accident, damage, and claims history will influence if and how much your premiums rise. Minor fender benders rarely raise premiums as much as severe collisions. Clean driving records are essential for avoiding rate spikes.

Similar Posts